"There is more treasure in books than in all the pirate's loot on Treasure Island." - Walt Disney

Wednesday, March 2, 2016

IWSG: Feeling Overwhelmed

It’s time for another group posting of the Insecure Writer’s Support Group! founded by Alex J. Cavanaugh. Time to release our fears to the world – or offer encouragement to those who are feeling neurotic. If you’d like to join us, click on the tab above and sign up. We post the first Wednesday of every month. Your words might be the encouragement someone needs. You can also join us on twitter using the hashtag #IWSG, or on the Facebook page.

I've been feeling completely overwhelmed lately. A large number of obligations vying for my attention combined with stolen credit card information and thousands of dollars in fraudulant charges is enough to make anyone want to curl up in a corner and cry.

Needless to say, my writing has taken a back seat this past week. It's easy to let the writing go when life interferes, but then we are left with no output, and no income for it. So, how do we combat that possibility?

The only things we can do:

1) Take one thing at a time - start with what needs your most immediate attention. In my case, shutting off the credit card so no additional charges were made. Then meet promised deadlines and appearances, but don't make any additional plans until you feel more steady.

2) Learn from the hardships - relationships with agents, editors, or publishers can go sour. Learn from the experience. Realize you are dealing with human nature, then decide what you can do differently next time, or what you are willing to put up with in the future. Don't let the difficulties take the joy from your life.

3) Adjust your goals - prioritize with this new information and set of circumstances. What is most important to you? What do you want to happen now? Say goodbye to whatever is no longer important, set boundaries for what you keep, and rediscover the joy in everyday activities and relationships.

I hope your days are not so overwhelming, but when they are, how do you cope?

8 comments:

Unknown said...

I'm so sorry to hear about the credit card fraud. That's awful! I certainly understand why that's got you upset - I'd be freaked out too. I hope the problem gets resolved and you don't have to pay a penny. Good luck with your writing goals in the weeks to come. :)

Diana Wilder said...

That's a lot to deal with (the fraud). Keeping rock-steady and on course does help. And recognizing priorities and staying with them. Keeping focused. Good post!

L.G. Keltner said...

Credit card fraud is awful. I once had a situation where someone stole a check from me, wrote it to themselves for $500, and forged my signature. Luckily my bank noticed that it looked strange and didn't cash it. The person in question got caught. Not a fun situation. I hope you get things cleared up soon and things go more smoothly from here on out.

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

That just sucks! Sorry someone got your card. I had someone from a restaurant make several charges, but I'd already notified my credit card company that my card was out of sight for almost thirty minutes.

Stanley Klemetson said...

I use a debit card, but have been impressed with how fast my bank notifies me of any unusual activity and then corrects the problem if there is one?

Stanley Klemetson said...

I use a debit card, but have been impressed with how fast my bank notifies me of any unusual activity and then corrects the problem if there is one?

Cynthia said...

Sorry to hear about the credit card fraud. I hope your credit card company is being cooperative with you. Something I do when I get overwhelmed is to just go for a nice long walk with a friend.

Unknown said...

Thesis writing has become an essential part of completing the degree day. Students have to deal with this part of his academic life in order to get your degree of higher education. Cheap Dissertation Writing Service